About the Department of Industrial Engineering at UPRM
The main purpose of the Industrial Engineering program at UPRM is to prepare professionals for the practice of Industrial Engineering in Puerto Rico and elsewhere. Graduates fromthe Industrial Engineering program at the Mayagüez Campus of the University of Puerto Rico are instrumental in the planning, designing, implementing and evaluating products, services, on systems that integrate people, materials, equipment, and information for the progress and improvement of the quality of life of humankind. They insure that these products, services, or systems can be provided economically with the required level of quality necessary for satisfying society’s needs. The Industrial Engineer draws upon knowledge and skills in mathematics and the physical, social, physiological and computer sciences together with principles and methods of engineering analysis and design.
- To accomplish our goal and enable our graduates to perform as Industrial Engineers they will be able to: apply the concepts and techniques relevant to the analysis and solution of challenges in the field of Industrial Engineering.
- possess and adequately utilize the fundamental knowledge in the technological and Socio-humanistic aspects of the profession.
- maintain an attitude of service to society and to the ethical practice of the profession.
- maintain professional competency throughout their careers.
- be competent in the use of computers, information systems, and telecommunications relevant to the profession.
- work as part of a team in the solution of engineering challenges.
- communicate adequately to present the results of professional work
- become leaders within the field.
Graduates from this program are equipped to work in manufacturing, service and governmental organizations. Examples of present and potential employers of our graduates include:
- pharmaceuticals, textiles, food processing, electronics, clothing and shoes, health and hospital related products.
- banks, hospitals, supermarket chains, furniture chains, communications, managerial consultants, system developers, public utilities, and cooperatives.
- government agencies.
This program is fully accredited by ABET, the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology.