Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering
The main purpose of the Industrial Engineering program at UPRM is to prepare professionals for the practice of Industrial Engineering in Puerto Rico and elsewhere. Graduates from the Industrial Engineering program at the Mayagüez Campus of the University of Puerto Rico are instrumental in the planning, designing, implementing and evaluating products, services, on systems that integrate people, materials, equipment, and information for the progress and improvement of the quality of life of humankind. They insure that these products, services, or systems can be provided economically with the required level of quality necessary for satisfying society’s needs. The Industrial Engineer draws upon knowledge and skills in mathematics and the physical, social, physiological and computer sciences together with principles and methods of engineering analysis and design.
To accomplish our goal an enable our graduates to perform as Industrial Engineers they will be able to:
- apply the concepts and techniques relevant to the analysis and solution of challenges in the field of Industrial Engineering,
- possess and adequately utilize the fundamental knowledge in the technological and sociohumanistic aspects of the profession,
- maintain an attitude of service to society and to the ethical practice of the profession,
- maintain professional competency throughout their careers,
- be competent in the use of computers, information systems, and telecommunications relevant to the profession,
- work as part of a team in the solution of engineering challenges,
- communicate adequately to present the results of professional work,
- become leaders within the field,
Graduates from this program are equipped to work in manufacturing, service and governmental organizations. Examples of present and potential employers of our graduates include:
- pharmaceuticals, textiles, food processing, electronics, clothing and shoes, health and hospital related products.
- banks, hospitals, supermarket chains, furniture chains, communications, managerial consultants, system developers, public utilities, and cooperatives.
- government agencies.
This program is fully accredited by ABET, the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology.
Program Educational Objectives
The student’s professional careers are shaped fundamentally by the educational experiences provided by the program. The educational objectives of the Industrial Engineering undergraduate program are the following:
- Our graduates will be known as assertive, ethical, and independent critical thinkers.
- Our graduates will make contributions to their organization based on experience that builds on their IE education.
- Our graduates will adapt to changing needs in their profession.
- Our graduates will achieve leadership roles in their organizations
With these educational objectives as a guide, the Industrial Engineering Program at UPRM has been designed to provide students with a well-balanced education stressing classical Industrial Engineering design complemented with additional sophisticated analytical techniques. A strong emphasis is placed upon the fundamentals of the profession, laboratory experiences, real life problem solving, and the use of the computer as an engineering tool.
The Industrial Engineering program prepares professionals in Industrial Engineering with the capacity to apply their knowledge, skills, attitudes, and the most recent technological developments to the solution of problems in our society. The profile of the IE graduate states the following:
Graduates from the Industrial Engineering program are instrumental in planning, designing, implementing and evaluating products, services, and systems which integrate people, materials, equipment, and information for the progress and improvement of the quality of life of humankind. They insure that these products, services, or systems can be provided economically with the required level of quality necessary for satisfying society’s needs. The Industrial Engineer draws upon knowledge and skills mostly from the areas of mathematics and the physical, social, physiological and computer sciences, together with principles and methods of engineering analysis and design.